Workout of the Day–July 29, 3015
45 Back Squats (135/95)
30 Front Squats
15 Overhead Squats
Paleo Picnic Chicken Salad
This time of year the evenings are long and the sun is plentiful. Don’t let the need to cook dinner drive you indoors. Plan a picnic that is healthy, yummy and easy to prepare. Try this chicken salad recipe from Nom Nom Paleo.
- ½ cup Paleo Mayonnaise (If you don’t feel like making it, go to Vitamin Cottage or Nature’s O and find the version with the least chemicals and refined oils.)
- ¾ teaspoon Indian curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small Gala, Fuji, or Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch dice
- Juice from ½ medium lime
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast or thighs
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup almond slivers, toasted
First, make the curried mayonnaise. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Yes, folks—whenever possible, it’s important to taste your food so you can adjust the seasoning as needed.
In a separate bowl, toss the apple chunks with the lime juice. This will ensure that your apples won’t oxidize into brown, splotchy cubes—and the acid adds a nice zing to the salad, too.
Shred the chicken by hand, and toss it into the bowl with the acidulated apples. Add the cilantro, scallions, and curried mayonnaise, and mix well.
Top with toasted almond slivers and serve. How easy was that?