Just for a minute consider something…
Consider who you want to be on June 27th.
If you were at the very top of your health and well-being, what would you feel like? What would your family members and friends say about you? How much energy would you have?
So fast-forward and paint yourself a picture: What do you look like on June 27th?
Many of you have asked for another nutrition challenge and our Accountability Groups are off to a great start. This tells me that you realize we are working on something bigger than just making it to the gym 3 days per week. Health encompasses so much more than exercise. In looking for ways to help our community be “healthier”, I found the Whole LIfe Challenge. Initially skeptical, I kept coming back to it because of the simplicity of participating and the all-encompassing nature of the challenge. I also like that you can choose your level of participation so you don’t have to sign up for something that you aren’t ready for. Best of all, there is a team aspect to it and a platform for us to easily support one another. So after much scrutiny, I’m happy to announce that Catacombs Fitness will have an official team participating in the Spring Whole Life Challenge.
So what is it and how does it work? The Whole Life Challenge (WLC) is basically a game that challenges us to “try on” a whole life of health and fitness for eight weeks. Participants make a commitment to replace a few bad lifestyle habits with good lifestyle habits. It encompasses all areas of well-being like nutrition, stretching, exercise and stress management. As a team, we can win points and lose points (hopefully we’ll win more than we lose) by recording scores on a daily basis across a few different categories. And the prize is … Well, it’s who you are on June 27. Catacombs will also be awarding a weekly prize to the athlete each week that best demonstrates the Spirit of the Challenge.
The basic rules to the game are below:
- Eat by the WLC rules you choose at the level that is right for you. There are 3 levels to choose from depending on where you are in your nutrition journey. The Kickstart Level eliminates refined grains and sugars while allowing more convenience foods and 1 alcoholic drink per day. The Lifestyle Level additionally eliminates starches like white potatoes, soy, and many artificial sweeteners and limits alcohol to once per week. Finally, the Performance Level is further restrictive in eliminating corn, oats and all alcohol. There is a comprehensive list of all foods allowed/disallowed for each level. Earn up to 5 points daily for nutrition, but each day is a new day. You aren’t kicked out if you have days that you aren’t compliant, you just get less points that day.
- Exercise for at least 10 minutes each day. We recommend 3-5 Catacombs workouts each week. The other days you earn your exercise points by being active. Ride your bike, kayak, hike, even walk. This is your time to move daily. You earn 2 points for exercise.
- Stretch for at least 10 minutes each day. You earn 2 points for stretching.
- Water One third of your body weight in oz. of water each day (20 ml per kg). You earn 1 point for water.
- Supplement with a dietary supplement that would make a difference for your body if you took it every day. This can be as simple as fish oil/Vitamin D or as complicated as you want to make it. You earn one point for your supplement.
- Live the WLC weekly lifestyle practice – things like sleep, meditate, & supporting others. You earn 1 point each day you complete the weekly lifestyle task.
- Reflect at the end of each day and check in with how it went and how you’re doing. No amount of numbers can paint the whole picture. Your daily reflection helps you see how the challenge is really going. You earn 1 point daily for your reflection.
Shoot, it kind of sounds fun, doesn’t it? When you are ready to register (and I know you are going to want to), join the Catacombs team here: http://www.whole.lc/wlcmay15/pt/crossfitcatacombs. Friends and family are welcome to join the Catacombs team too. Go ahead, rope in your coworkers, spouses, and friends.
Dates and Dollars–
- The Whole Life Challenge Starts May 2nd and runs through June 26th. You don’t want to miss out on this.
- Catacombs “Pre-Game Huddle” on Tuesday, April 7th at 7 PM. Get your questions answered in time for the early registration deadline.
- Cost is $39 if you register before April 15th. Register directly with WLC using the link above.
- Cost goes up to $49 from April 16th through May 2nd.
- We will have a kickoff event tentatively scheduled for May 1. We will do an intake workout, record measurements, and as always, enjoy happy hour.
- We will have a Final Event to repeat the intake workout, measurements, and of course, happy hour.